On the 14th of September we will begin our 1820km cycle from Byron Street in Elwood, Melbourne to Byron Bay in northern New South Wales to raise funds and awareness for the White Ribbon Foundation; Australia’s only male led campaign to prevent violence against women.
White Ribbon’s vision is that all women live in safety, free from all forms of men’s violence. Their campaign strives for men to speak out and act to stop violence against women, and to safely and effectively challenge the attitudes and behaviours of a minority of men who use or condone violence against women. In effect, redefining what it means to be a real man and changing traditional stereotypes. White Ribbon work through primary prevention initiatives involving awareness raising, education and programs with youth, schools, workplaces and across the broader community.
Some alarming facts about violence against women include:
• In Australia, on average one women every week is killed as a result of intimate partner violence.
• Approximately one in 3 women will experience physical violence in their lifetime.
• The combined cost of violence against women has been estimated at $21.7billion a year.
• Intimate partner violence contributes to more death, disability and illness in women aged 15 to 44 than any other preventable risk factor.
• One in four children in Australia are exposed to domestic violence.
We've created this page because we want to make a difference. We're inspired by the work of White Ribbon Australia and wanted to support them by raising awareness and money. Please help us help them by giving whatever you can using the 'Give Now' button. The more people that know about White Ribbon Australia, the greater their impact, so please also spread the word by sharing our page with your friends and family. It's time to end the cycle of violence against women. Thank you in advance for your generosity, it means a lot!