Room to Read Writer Ambassadors are helping Room to Read reach millions of children, through the transformative power of education. We believe World Change Starts with Educated Children®
Our 2016 World Change Challenge to you is to join us in funding the gift of literacy and education for children in 10 low-income countries in Asia and Africa.
Start fundraising and your donation can help the world’s poorest children discover new worlds of words, creativity, imagination and empowerment. As Kofi Annan said, ‘Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope.’
The 2016 World Change Challenge is proudly supported by the following writers: Tristan Bancks, Deborah Abela, Maxine Beneba Clarke, Jesse Blackadder, Sarah Brennan, Sarah Davis, James Foley, Kate Forsyth, Susanne Gervay, Gus Gordon, Jacqueline Harvey, Libby Hathorn, John Larkin, Frané Lessac, Melina Marchetta, Sophie Masson, Bhakti Mathur, Belinda Murrell, Oliver Phommavanh, Alice Pung, Sally Rippin, Nury Vittachi and Dianne Wolfer.
Room to Read is offering holistic literacy programs to millions of children, including:
•Publication and distribution of socially and culturally appropriate educational materials . . . including BOOKS in more than 25 local languages!
• Ongoing training and support for educators so students are receiving the best from their teachers.
• Investment in safe and colourful purpose-built learning environments where education comes first.
Room to Read’s Literacy Programs are transforming learning environments and lives:
• $1 prints a copy of a local language children's picture book.
•30 fills a library shelf with books
• $60 supports a child to learn to read for one year
• $310 trains an emerging local author or illustrator to create a new children’s book
• $600 trains a librarian to run a library effectively and inspire children’s love of reading
• $2500 provides for teacher professional development as well as onsite coaching and monitoring for a teacher for a year.
• $3100 revolutionises learning in a school by providing a trained teacher and a trained librarian who will both receive ongoing coaching and support as they help children develop the skills and the habit of reading.
For inspiration on fundraising ideas and to watch a video of successfully completed and super fun challenges, please visit the website of children and teen author, Tristan Bancks, the creator of Room to Read’s World Change Challenge -